At WPLC, we engage in a seven-week Advent. This more historical length of the season helps us to immerse ourselves in the themes of this time–hope, waiting, and longing. (Learn more about a seven-week Advent here.)
After a steady decrease in hunger for over a decade, hunger is on the rise worldwide (UN stat). The impacts of the pandemic continue to exacerbate world hunger. In 2020, the prevalence of undernourishment climbed to around 9.9% (UN stat). This Advent we join in the waiting, and we share our gifts as a sign of hope for the day when all can be fed.
What We’re Doing
- Advent Project: Support Ministry Partners Responding to Hunger
- Midweek Prayer: Food as Joy, Hope, and Peace
- Hosting the Holy Family
Advent Project: SUPPORT Ministry Partners Responding to Hunger
Goals to throw pies in the face (by 1/6/22): $4,000 (Vicar); $6,000 (+ Dr. Jordan); $8,000 (+ Pastor Jason)
Progress (12/30): $7,897 ($130 to top tier goal!)
Throughout the Advent season, we heard from our ministry partners who work to alleviate hunger. We encourage you to donate towards these ministries through WPLC’s website throughout the Advent/Christmas season to allow your gift to be included toward the progress. Additionally, you can bring non-perishable items to help stock food pantries throughout Chicagoland.
- The Night Ministry (learn more)
- Katie’s Closet (learn more)
- WPLC’s Little Free Pantry (learn more)
- Trinidad Lutheran Church feeding program (learn more)
- Companion Synod: South Africa AIDS Ministry (learn more)
- Omen Center feeding program at WPLC
Midweek Advent Prayer: Food as Joy, Hope, and Peace
Log onto Zoom and bring your food, prepare your meal, or digest your food during these short 20-minute prayer services. We’ll gather in prayer, song, scripture, and silence to reflect on hunger and give thanks for the food we eat. Connect at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87951083325 or calling 312-626-6799 with meeting ID: 879 5108 3325.
- The Joy of Food — Thursday, November 18 at 6:30 p.m.
- The Hope for Food — Thursday, December 2 at 6:30 p.m.
- The Peace with Food — Thursday, December 16 at 6:30 p.m.
Host The Holy Family
As we reflect on hunger, we invite you to host the migrating Holy Family for a series of meals. The movement of the Holy Family will help you to build community, recall the journey of the Holy Family, and reflect on hunger issues.
- Give refuge to the Holy Family for 3-7 days
- Use the Advent Study Guide to reflect on hunger (optional)
- Share a picture of the Holy Family at your home (optional)
- Physically transport the Holy Family to the next host (we will work to accommodate transportation limitations)