Our Goal: $5,000
This year we continue our work to confront both hunger and poverty on a local, domestic, and global level. According to the most recent estimates, 766.6 million people live in extreme poverty on less than $1.90 per day. That’s 10.7% of the world’s population.
- Katie’s Closet–This organization works to diminish food insecurity with seminary students at the Lutheran seminary in Chicago. Recent statistics show that about 30% of seminary students are food insecure at some point during their studies.
- Trinidad Lutheran Church (Humboldt Park)–This church hosts a popular community feeding and clothing closet once each month on Division Street near California Ave. Help provide items for those with limited income or no housing.
- ELCA World Hunger–Help fight hunger domestically and globally through the ELCA’s programs that provide hope and healing.
How You Can Help:
- Purchase and place in “advent project” basket or bring to the office (new): peanut butter, socks, pasta, oatmeal, sugar, rice, nuts, beans, oil, canned fruit, tampons, sanitary pads, incontinence underwear, toothpaste, toothbrushes, anti-bacterial wipes.
- Give a (tax-deductible) monetary gift by marking an envelope with “Advent project” or give online. Please note if there is a specific item in the “candle boxes” in the back of WPLC’s sanctuary or a specific organization you’d like to direct the donation. All non-designated funds will be split evenly between all three organizations.