“As members of the ELCA, we believe that we are freed in Christ to serve and love our neighbor. God uses our hands, through our direct service work and our voices, through our advocacy efforts, to restore and reconcile our world. Through faithful advocacy, the ELCA lives out our Lutheran belief that governments can help advance the common good.” ~ ELCA.org
Justice goes hand-in-hand with mercy as we follow God’s call to care for our neighbors. WPLC’s approach to justice involves using our voice to advocate for the most vulnerable. We want to help connect you with ELCA-based advocacy efforts. Below is a list of organizations we partner with and the link will direct you to their site to sign up for alerts to engage. While we support these ministries, this does not mean that we agree with their every action. You will need to discern how God calls you through the Scriptures and our Lutheran tradition paired with your experiences and faith to respond in each situation.
- ELCA Advocacy – “advocacy alerts” on policies that create opportunities to overcome poverty, promote peace and dignity, and defend God’s creation on state, national, and global levels
- The Lutheran World Federation – advocacy updates focused on Lutherans’ global commitment to human rights and human dignity, including climate change, gender justice, refugees, oppressed minorities, economic justice, HIV/AIDS, and religious freedom
- Friends of the Chicago River – enroll in “overflow action days” to remind you to conserve water during large storms to prevent excess water from going into Chicago rivers
- Faith in Place – web page featuring upcoming actions to help change systems and policies to protect land, air, and water
Refugees and Immigrants
- Refugee One (Chicago-based) – “action alerts” related to safeguarding the legal rights, privileges, and protections of refugees
- Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services – “Stand for Welcome eAlerts” gives opportunities to advocate for systemic change in how the United States treats immigrants and refugees
- Arise Chicago – newsletter detailing work to partner immigrants with faith communities to end workplace abuse
There are many worthy organizations to support across the globe. We give thanks for their hard work! WPLC, generally, supports Lutheran-affiliated ministries along with local organizations that are aligned with our mission, vision, values, and purpose. If you have an organization that you suggest we include, contact Pastor Jason (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a link and a brief description about their work.